The Eastern Oklahoma State College men's soccer team fell to Paris Junior College 6-1 on Thursday in Paris, TX.
The Mountaineers dropped to 0-1, 0-0 in the Region II conference.
PLAY BY PLAY
- In the 12th minute, Jose Maria Ruarte whipped a ball in that was scored an own goal after it squeezed under the PJC goalkeeper.
- PJC powered ahead with two quick goals of their own and carried a 2-1 lead into the break.
- Eastern found a rhythm as the first half came to a close, but was unable to generate any realistic chances on frame.
- The Eastern momentum was short-lived as PJC put the game to rest with a slew of goals in the second half as they coasted to an easy 6-1 victory.
Eastern Head Coach Jon Evan said he was disappointed in his team's effort.
"We were not prepared to play and battle. It should have been an evenly contested game, especially with us taking the early lead. We need to give credit to PJC for taking advantage of our sluggishness and their will to put the game away. PJC is a much-improved team, prepared to go into conference play with the likes of TJC and Northeast Texas. They were never going to quit just because we showed up with our Eastern shirts on." Evan said. "I'm concerned that we were satisfied because we had some success on our pre-season road trip. I didn't like the way we responded to adversity. We have to compete, consistently at a high level day in & day out. We want to play in, compete and win these types of games. Now our young team has to grow and learn from our failure. We'll be ready next time out."
- The Mountaineers had six shots and put 3 on frame.
- Wicks and Neto registered seven saves in the loss.
Eastern opens its home schedule vs Garden City CC on Sunday, Aug. 24 at 4 p.m.